STAND AND DELIVER
Read through the questions carefully. After watching the film, pick 4 questions from the 14 below, and write your answers on a separate piece of paper in complete sentences. Restate the question in your answer. Make sure to label your questions so I know which questions you have answered. Answers with fewer than 3 sentences will not be accepted.
1. Describe the character of Angel. Why does he act the way he does?
2. Describe the character of Mr. Escalante. What are some of his positive traits? What mistakes did he make during this movie?
3. Do you think that Mr. Escalante treated Angel fairly throughout the movie? Why or why not?
4. “Ganas” is a Spanish word that Mr. Escalante uses in class. What does it mean? Why does he use it, and how does it inspire the students?
5. Describe the home lives of the students. How could their lives at home positively and/or negatively affect their performance in school?
6. The students gave up weekends and vacations to study. Why did they do that? Could you be inspired to? Why or why not?
7. At any point in the movie did you think that the students cheated on their exam? Why do you think that the Educational Testing Service did? Did they have any just reasoning?
8. Mr. Escalante’s wife became frustrated and worried about her husband and his involvement in the class. Why? Was it justified?
9. What was the theme of Stand and Deliver? What message (or messages) was the filmmaker trying to get across?
10. Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why? Give at least 3 reasons.
11. Do you think that the students should have retaken the test? Why do you think they did?
12. Why do you think Mr. Escalante is a good role model for teachers? For students? Have you had such role models throughout your schooling? Who? And why were they good role models?
13. In the end, the students accomplished a great thing. How could that positively affect their lives?
14. Is this film similar to any other films you have seen? Which one(s)? How are the films similar?
Jamie Escalante article